Skip to content

Tax Information and Workshops

Information below is for tax year 2019. Income taxes must be filed by April 15, 2019.

A tax packet will be available to you in early February in International Student Services, Burton Morgan 417.

Virtually All F- or J- international students must file an income tax form every year in order to be in compliance with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations. It is very important to remain in compliance with U.S. tax regulations. Individuals in F-1 or J-1 status who receive a U.S. source of income that is subject to withholding, must file annually by April 15. Records should be kept for five years. International students (with the exception of permanent residents, resident aliens for tax purposes, or those married to U.S. citizens) must file a 1040-NR/NR-EZ Form for Non-Residents. 

Non-residents with no 2019 income need only file one form via Sprintax
  • Federal Form 8843 - determines residency for tax purposes
Non-residents with 2019 income (students who worked in 2018) must file 3 forms via Sprintax
  • Federal Form 8843 - determines residency for tax purposes
  • Federal Form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR (use depends on types of income)
  • State of Ohio IT 1040 EZ (filled in separately - not using Sprintax)
Denison University International Student Services does not provide tax assistance. We do, however, provide you with access to Sprintax software and hold workshops to answer any questions you may have about the software.
Virtual Tax workshops for international students will be held using Google Hangouts Meet. ‚Äč
  • Wednesday, April 8 | 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. EDT (
  • Wednesday, April 15 | 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. EDT (
  • Thursday, April 16 | 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. EDT (
**Please bring the following documents with you to file your taxes during the workshop: all tax documents including W-2 (if you worked during 2019), passport, i-94 travel history, and your checking account number and U.S. bank routing number (this can be found at the bottom of your checks and is used to direct deposit your refund, if you receive one, directly into your bank account)**
Nonresident Alien – If you are not a U.S. Citizen, you are considered a nonresident alien unless you meet the Green Card Test or Substantial Presence Test. Students holding “F” or “J” visas will be considered nonresident aliens for tax purposes for the first 5 years in the U.S. If you meet one of these two tests, you may be considered a resident alien for tax purposes only. 

Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, is used to report wages paid to employees and the taxes withheld from them. The form is also used to report FICA taxes to the Social Security Administration. Relevant amounts on Form W-2 are reported by the Social Security Administration to the Internal Revenue Service.

Employers must complete a Form W-2 for each employee to whom they pay a salary, wage, or other compensation. The Form W-2 reports income on a calendar year (January 1 through December 31) basis, regardless of the fiscal year used by Denison University for other Federal tax purposes. However, this refers to the time period in which an employee has been compensated, not necessarily the actual dates of employment. After the final payroll in December, employment is normally compensated and subject to tax in the following year.

Individuals who were employed on campus during calendar year 2019 receive a W-2 (statement of earnings) from Denison University. The Human Resources (HR) Office on the 3rd floor of Doane Administration Building generates the forms by the end of January each year and delivers the forms to International Student Services (ISS) for distribution. Students may now opt to receive their W-2 electronically via Self Service which is highly recommended!

The information on the W-2 form is used to complete the tax form. The online version of the W-2 form is a single copy; the Human Resources copy includes 4 copies each annotated in the lower left hand corner:
  1. one copy to be mailed with your federal tax form 1040NR-EZ (lower left square)
  2. one copy to be mailed with your state of Ohio form IT 1040-EZ (top left square)
  3. one copy for local taxes which you do not need to file and 
  4. one copy for your records
1040NR – The forms 1040NR and its “easy” version 1040NR-EZ are to be used by nonresident aliens filing a tax return. Nonresident aliens (eg F-1, J-1, etc. holders) who have been in the US for less than 5 years should use the 1040NR form.

1099-INT – 1099 forms report various types of income other than wages, salaries, and tips. The 1099-INT form is used to report Interest Income from a Savings or Money Market bank account. You will receive this form by mail from your bank by February.

Form 8843: Special Filing for F-1, F-2, J-1 and J-2 Persons - Persons in F-1, F-2, J-1 or J-2 nonimmigrant status must file Form 8843 even if they received NO income in 2018. If you are required to file an income tax return, you should also include Form 8843 with your income tax filing. Form 8843 is not an income tax return; it is merely an informational statement required by the US government and sent to the IRS.

Form 8843 must be filed if an individual is:
  • present in the U.S. during 2018
  • a nonresident alien
  • present in the U.S. under F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 status
In general, you do not need to have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taypayer Identification Number (ITIN) in order to file Form 8843. However, if you have an ITIN or SSN you should put that number on the 8843.