Skip to content

New Hire Paperwork and Social Security Process

New Hire Paperwork (on-campus jobs) and Social Security Process

Students who hold F-1 Visas must first secure a job before they can complete their Denison new hire paperwork and apply for a Social Security card. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Center for Global Programs will not be taking shuttles to the Social Security Administration Office until further notice. The Social Security Administration Office in Newark, Ohio is operating on a limited schedule with fewer staff. The process below has changed slightly. Please be sure to read all steps involved in completing your new hire paperwork and applying for your Social Security Card. This process is only required for your first on-campus job or if you lose your Social Security Card. 

Please take note of the following steps:

New Hire Paperwork
  1. First, find a position on campus (even a one hour per week job will enable you to apply for a Social Security Card). Check MyDenison or Handshake for job postings (go to MyDenison, click on the Students tab, and then Student Jobs).
  2. Schedule a virtual meeting with Kelly VanBuskirk who will help you complete your Denison new hire paperwork. She will email you a list of the paperwork to print before your meeting. Please bring your bank account information to complete the direct deposit form in the Human Resources Office. All payment from Denison is via direct deposit only.
  3. Schedule a meeting with Dorota Kendrick who will review your immigration documents to complete the final form, the I-9 – Employment Eligibility Verification. **Please bring your passport, I-94, and I-20 with you to the appointment as well as all of the new hire paperwork you completed**
Social Security Application Process
  1. Once offered a position, ask your employer to complete the ​Employment Authorization Letter​. This letter is available in the My ISS Portal at the bottom of this page. After your employer completes the top portion of the form, please have Dorota Kendrick or Chad Buckwalter sign the form.
  2. In preparation for your trip to the Social Security Administration Office, please do the following:
    1. Complete the Social Security application form located at the bottom of this page
    2. Print your​ I-94 (
    3. Social Security/BMV trips have been cancelled until further notice due to COVID-19. If you need to apply for your Social Security Number/Card, please contact Marilyn Andrew ( to confirm the date/time you can go. You will need to arrange your own transportation (taxi, Uber, Lyft, or travel with a friend). We recommend waiting until Denison University has lifted the restrictions on traveling outside of Granville before applying for your Social Security Card.
  3. On the day of the trip, plan to take the following documents:
    1. Passport
    2. Original I-20
    3. I-94 (
    4. The ​Employment Authorization Letter ​signed by your employer and International Student Services
    5. Social Security Card Application
  4. The Social Security staff will issue a paper receipt. Please share a copy of this receipt with Dorota Kendrick (
  5. The Social Security card will be delivered to the Center for Global Programs. Staff will contact students via email to pick up the card. Students are required to bring the card to the Human Resources (HR) Office - Doane Administration Building, 3rd floor after you receive it. If you do not present the card, you will no longer be able to work.
  6. If your Social Security card does not arrive in the mail within 2 weeks, please contact the Center for Global Programs.
  7. Keep your Social Security card in a safe place. It is best not to keep it in your wallet. If the card is lost, the entire procedure must be repeated. The card should never be laminated!

Social Security Office
125 Derby Downs Road
Newark, OH 43055

Social Security Process and Forms