Skip to content

Maintaining Your F-1 Status

1. Enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours (full-time status) for fall and spring semesters or obtain permission to take less than a full-time academic load before moving below full-time status. Full-time status is required for financial aid.

2. On-campus employment
Please apply for a Social Security card once you have been offered a job. Please contact International Student Support in Burton Morgan 417 for details. Students must not work more than 20 hours per week during the academic year. Full time employment is permitted during official breaks (Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring and Summer Break).

3. Off-campus employment 
Do not accept any off-campus employment without permission from the ISS office. Both Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment require authorization before you begin working! You must complete one academic year before you are eligible for CPT or OPT.

4. Taxes 
All F-1 students are REQUIRED to file form 8843 Statement for Exempt Individuals which establishes your "residency for tax purposes". All F-1 students who have earned income are required to file federal and state tax return regardless of the amount of income earned. Filing a tax return may result in a refund of taxes that have been withheld.

5. Progress toward your degree
As an F-1 student, you are expected to complete your degree in four years. If additional time is needed, you must apply for an extension of program before the program completion date on your I-20. Students must have a legitimate reason to request the extension such as an addition of an academic major or an authorized medical leave. Transferring credits taken at another institution may be an option if you fall behind in credits. Generally, financial aid is limited to eight semesters.

6. SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Status Updates 
  • Complete the International Student Check-In and upload copies of your immigration documents when you first arrive at Denison
  • Report changes in home address and phone number to ISS and in MyDenison
  • Report changes in your cell phone number to ISS and in MyDenison
  • Report falling below full-time enrollment (12 credit hours)

7. Students must report plans to withdraw or transfer to another institution to ISS as soon as possible. In the case of a transfer, a student must be enrolled at their next institution for the next available academic term, which must start no more than 5 months into the future.

8. Obey all laws! 
ISS is obligated in certain circumstances to report to the Department of Homeland Security students who are convicted of crimes. Conviction of crimes and even misdemeanors may result in removal from or inability to return to the U.S.  A driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI) charge, (not even a conviction) will result in the revocation of your student visa. Possession and/or use of drugs, controlled substances such as marijuana or prescription drugs that have not been prescribed to you will result in a charge. Even a minor misdemeanor may result in inadmissibility to the U.S.