Skip to content

Employment Options

There are multiple types of work authorizations available to Denison international students. Each type of work authorization has different rules, processes, and timelines. Some are authorized by Denison University's International Student Support and others must be approved by the the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Please read the information below to learn more about each type of employment.

Please review this guide to help you prepare to apply for employment: What Employers Should Know about Hiring International Students
On-campus employment by F-1 students is permitted as long as the student works no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. Students may be employed full-time during vacations and recess periods as long as they intend to register for the next term.

On-campus employment means employment performed on the premises of the school or at an affiliated location. On-campus employment may be of a type normally performed by students, such as work in the school library, cafeterias, computer center, or in the student store. For current student job postings, please view Student Job Ads.
Cooperative education and internship programs allow students to obtain practical work experience in their field of study. In order for F-1 students to participate in off-campus work experiences, immigration regulations require students to receive academic credits for the work experience, unless it is a required component of their degree program. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services refers to this kind of off-campus work experience as Curricular Practical Training. 

Eligibility Requirements
  • Undergraduate students must have completed one academic year (nine months) in F-1 visa status
  • Students must be in legal F-1 visa status, in good academic standing, and making normal, satisfactory progress toward completion of their degree
  • The type of employment must be directly related to a student’s major
To register for the INTD 202 Internship Course taught by Dr. Gina Dow during the Fall 2023 semester, please complete this form. Enrollment in this course is mandatory if you are engaged in a paid internship during the Fall semester and the experience is not a required part of your major.

To apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), please login and click on the Student Request tab and select the CPT Request. If you have already started a request, do not start a new one. Please go to your Request tab and locate your CPT Request under Pending Requests. If you wish to extend an internship you began in the summer, you will need to submit a new CPT request to cover the additional time period.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a work benefit for international students in F-1 immigration status who are enrolled in or completing a degree program in the U.S. OPT is not a “work visa” and does not require you to remain at one company for the entire OPT period. Authorization for OPT is granted by the USCIS and can take as long as three months to obtain

Pre-Completion Optional Practical Training (prior to graduation)

Pre-completion OPT is permitted for F-1 students as long as the work is for no more than 20 hours a week while school is in session.

Full-time employment under this category is allowed during vacations and recess periods as long as the student intends to register for the next term. Time spent in pre-completion OPT will be deducted from the 12 months of full-time employment available for post-completion OPT. For example, if the student works 20 hours a week for four months, he/she would have two months deducted from the 12 months of post-completion OPT.

Applications are submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for final decision.

Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (after graduation)

F-1 students are entitled to up to one year post-completion OPT for each successive and higher degree. Time spent in pre-completion OPT is deducted from the 12-month total practical training period.

You may apply for post-completion OPT up to 90 days before your completion date, and up to 60 days beyond the end date of your I-20. USCIS must receive your application no later than 30 days after ISS creates the OPT I-20. Applications are submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for final decision.

To apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), please login and click on the Student Request tab and select the OPT Request. If you have already started a request, do not start a new one. Please go to your Request tab and locate your OPT Request under Pending Requests.
Students who have completed a STEM degree in the U.S., may be eligible to apply for an additional 24 months of STEM OPT up to 90 days prior to the expiration of their OPT. For more information about STEM OPT, please review the information on Study in the States

Eligibility Requirements
  • The employment extension is based on/must be related to the STEM degree. Qualifying Denison University majors are: Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Data Analytics, Economics, Environmental Studies, Financial Economics, Geosciences, Physics, Mathematics and Psychology.
  • The student must have maintained valid F-1 status.
  • The student must be currently on post-completion OPT.
  • The employment must be full-time. For immigration purposes, full-time is defined as more than 20 hours per week.
  • The student must be offered a job by an employer currently registered with the E-Verify program. Learn more about the E-Verify Program.
  • The student must not be self-employed.
  • The student must not have been granted more than one STEM extension in the past. The STEM extension is only available twice per lifetime, regardless of the number of STEM degrees earned.
  • The STEM application must be received by the USCIS prior to the end of the initial period of post-completion OPT, and within 60 days of ISS creating the STEM OPT I-20.
  • The student and employer must complete form I-983 and agree to adhere to it and comply with reporting requirements.
To apply for 24-Month STEM OPT Extension, please login and click on the Student Request tab and select the STEM OPT Extension Request. If you have already started a request, do not start a new one. Please go to your Request tab and locate your STEM OPT Extension Request under Pending Requests.